In the garage sale photo from the last post, in the middle you will see a round hanging lamp, which is painted a purplish-red. After unloading and putting everything away yesterday, I started to disassemble it.
I used a cable cutter to cut the wires that formed the whole thing into a circle. Then found the connecting point on the decorative part and got it apart. When I wanted to cut it down into a smaller piece I found the steel very hard...but did finally get through it cutting with a hacksaw while the piece was firmly clamped in a vise.
The paint was obviously not the original coating and was easily sanded off to reveal the metal in the bottom photo. Although, as I started sanding and there were still bit and pieces of paint left on, that was a lovely finish too.
I love this shape and will use it across the top of at least one piece I am currently working on, and I'm sure will quickly use it up. Quite a deal for $1.
NOTE: I hope all of you on the East coast are safe and secure while Irene creates havoc. Thinking of all of you.
NEW 30-Day Collage Challenge Workshop
2 days ago